HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST WINDOWS FOR YOUR NEW HOME
Are you building a new home in Maryland? It’s no secret that installing high-quality windows can pay for themselves in energy savings, not to mention make your home more comfortable in every season. But with countless options to pick from, how do you begin narrowing down your search?
Use the information here to help you choose the best windows for your new home. Then, for reliable window installation, replacement, and repair, turn to Potomac View Energy. Call us today at 410-795-3110 for a free consultation.
Consider Window Operating Types
The first factor to consider is how you want your windows to open. This usually comes down to personal preference, though it also depends on the installation location. The most popular options include:
- Double-hung windows (slide up and down)
- Sliding windows (slide left and right)
- Casement windows (swing outward with hinges on one side)
- Awning windows (swing outward with hinges on the top)
- Bay and bow windows (protrude from the wall in an arc of three to five individual windows)
- Garden windows (protrude from the wall and have a thick sill for placing small plants)
- Picture windows (don’t operate)
Compare Window Materials
The frame material affects the appearance, efficiency, and maintenance requirements of a window. Here are the most popular options available today:
- Vinyl windows are affordable, energy-efficient, and low-maintenance, but they aren’t as strong as fiberglass and can’t be repainted.
- Fiberglass windows are long-lasting, efficient, and virtually maintenance-free, but they cost more than vinyl windows.
- Wood windows have a timeless elegance, as well as versatile painting and staining options, but they’re more costly and have higher maintenance requirements.
- Aluminum windows have high strength and thin frames, but they may be less energy-efficient.
Look for a High Efficiency Rating
All window operating styles and frame materials are eligible for ENERGY STAR® ratings, but they must meet stringent performance requirements to qualify. You know you’ve found an ENERGY STAR window if it has the blue ENERGY STAR logo on the label. Features commonly found in high-efficiency windows include:
- Double-pane or triple-pane glass
- Insulated low-E window coatings
- Magnetic seals
- Warm edge spacers
- Gas in-fills
Here’s why it’s worth investing in high-performance ENERGY STAR windows:
- Decreased energy use
- Lower heating and cooling bills
- Increased home comfort
- Protection against UV rays
- Reduced noise transfer
Think About the Design
The final consideration when choosing the best windows is to decide what design you want. Some design elements are inherent to the operating type and frame material, but additional customizations are available to make the windows your very own. For instance, many manufacturers allow you to customize the frame color, glass features, grilles, hardware, screens, and more.
Take the customization one step further with custom windows. Unlike mass-produced windows, custom options are made to your precise specifications. Work with an architect to design windows with unique shapes, sizes, and styles for your new home. When you go custom instead of off-the-shelf, you’ll increase home value, boost your energy savings, and enjoy the most beautiful aesthetics possible.
Choose a Qualified Window Installer in Maryland
In the end, even the best windows will fall short if they are installed poorly. To ensure a job well done, leave the task to Potomac View Energy. We have years of experience performing residential window installation in Sykesville and Frederick, MD.
Ready to get started? Contact us online or by calling 410-795-3110 to schedule a free consultation for window installation, replacement, or repair.